Thursday, June 7, 2012

Love That Lasts


We’ve all seen, or at least have heard about the show American Idol. Each season you see hundreds audition to become America’s next big star. Some have talent, while others aren’t so gifted. Sometimes, contestants travel miles for an audition. Others leave everything they have to show America what they’ve got. Although many come from different parts of the country with different backgrounds, cultures, and styles of music, one thing remains the same—the idea of becoming an idol. But what exactly is an idol? And why is everyone dying to become Americas’ idol? Let’s dig deep into what an idol actually is and how it can cripple a Believer’s relationship with the Lord.

Idol- 
  1. An image or representation of a god used as an object of worship. 
  2. A person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered.

I Don’t Often Last
Google’s first definition gets right to the point. An idol is used for worship. It is created to BE worshipped. One of my definitions of an idol is, “I don’t often last.” So we look at these contestants and follow the ones we like, not realizing what kind of pressure we are putting on them. In Hollywood, one minute you’re in, the next you’re out. Take Britney Spears for example. You’re on top of the world, you’re America’s sweetheart one moment, and then you become the butt of all the jokes the next. Anything worshipped outside of God will never last. 

I Don’t Offer Love
Love seems to be the theme of Google’s second definition. Any idol must be loved. Many of the contestants aren’t always searching for a big break. Instead, their souls long for love. They think being the next big superstar will give them the love they desire. Indeed, they will get love for a couple of hours at a concert, as fans lift their hands and scream every word to their songs. But when the shows over, the temporary love they felt will fade. So in actuality, they never receive the love they want. “I don’t offer love” is another one of my definitions of an idol. Idols seek love, but never receive the love they need. Nor do they offer love to the ones idolizing them. 

Maybe you don’t desire to be America’s idol.  You say, “I don’t even watch that show, this post has nothing to do with me.” However, you don’t have to watch the show to have an idol in your heart. In the Word, idols were usually graven images that pagans would worship, instead of God. But idols aren’t only statues. They are people, places, and things that we put before God. An idol can be a guy or girl, a job, a phone, bills, social networks etc... Even idols such as fear, doubt, attention seeking, worry and anxiety can all hide in your heart as well. If you think about “it” more than God, “it” is an idol. 

“Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.”  - 1 Corinthians 10:14

Idols hinder us from giving our full attention and affection to the Creator of the Universe. We spend so much time mediating on these idols that we put Christ last in our hearts. Instead of making Him our priority, He becomes merely an option. And distrusting God is when our idols arise in us the most. We say with our hearts, "God, I don't believe you will provide for me. So I'm going to worship 'worry' more than You." Or we put all of our love in daydreaming about some celebrity because we don't trust that God has a husband or wife for us. But honestly, when was the last time Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber told you they loved you and really meant it? They probably never will. When was the last time your cell phone showed you more love than Christ? Yes, it is awesome that we have the technology now to share the Gospel through social networking. But are you spending more time tweeting and instagraming than you are with the Lord? Ultimately, the idols we worship in our thoughts and actions will never offer us a love that will last. 

Today, what thoughts consume your mind the most? Are your thoughts aligned with Jesus? When these idols emerge, your heart is simply screaming, “I need a love that will last!” Immediately go into worship when they arise, “Lord, I love You! You are amazing to me! You are all I need!” Get your focus back on your one and only God. He will completely satisfy your soul. Really examine your heart today. I definitely had to before writing this post. I realized my biggest idol was doubt. The more I worshipped doubt, the less I began to worship and trust Him. Daily, ask yourself questions like, “What am I thinking about so much that I can’t press into God’s voice? Am I worshipping other things or people more than my Savior today?” Burn the graven images in your heart today. Idols need love, whereas God just wants your love. Those idols are temporary, but God’s love is eternal. Let Him offer you a love that lasts.

8 comments:

  1. This is soooo powerful. It touched me and I had to examine my heart. But wow.. Powerful! Preach Preacha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Corey said xP Seriously though, keep it up. God's doing awesome things through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and if you don't mind, I'd like to give you a shout-out on my blog tomorrow! I'v already got you listed under my blog roll! Check it out!
    http://christianconfessions.webs.com/blogroll.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, that's awesome! Thanks, I will certainly check it out! God bless :)

      Delete
    2. It's up and posted: Check it out! :)
      http://christianconfessions.webs.com/moreconfessions.htm

      Delete
    3. Wow, thanks! By the way, your blog is awesome! God bless you :)

      Delete