Friday, September 7, 2012

TRANSFORM


As we continue in this series, “Moving Forward,” we must tackle a very important part in following Christ—the mind. Our minds have done one of two things in our lives—slowed us down or built us up. We cannot move forward in our relationship with the Lord if our minds aren’t being renewed daily. The Apostle Paul clearly stresses how important mind renewal is in Romans 12:2, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (ESV)” Our minds must be transformed and renewed by the word of God. My Pastor is currently teaching a series on mind renewal. Let’s look at some notes.

A few indicators that your mind isn’t renewed:
  1. You don’t know who you are. Usually in this stage, you find yourself settling with any and everyone. “Well, I guess I’ll settle for this guy even though he’s not even my type… I’m just lonely.” You have lost your identity.  
  2. You don’t know where you’re at. In this stage, you are extremely unsure of where you’re at. “Should I really be working here? Maybe this isn’t the job for me… I’m just tired.” You have lost your security.
  3. You don’t know where you’re going. This is the most dangerous stage to find yourself in because now you are extremely anxious. “What does my future really hold? I just don’t know about anything anymore.” You have lost your hope.
“What could you really accomplish with a renewed mind?” –Pastor Vic, The Room Church
 
Indicators that your mind is renewed:
  1. You know who you are in Christ. You have confidence in Christ that you normally wouldn’t have. “I don’t have to settle, I have been chosen by God (1 Peter 2:9).” Your identity is redefined.  
  2. You know where you’re at. You are content where you are. “This may not be my dream job but I am content with where God has me right now (Philippians 4:11).” You’re secure in Christ. 
  3. You know where you’re going. You have put all of your trust in the Lord. “I may not know every detail of Your plans for me and I don’t even care to know them all because I trust You. I trust that your plans for me are filled with hope (Jeremiah 29:11).” Your hope is restored.
Believer, it’s very easy to let the things of the world conform your mind. It is vital that in your walk with Christ, you renew your mind daily. What thoughts conform your mind daily? Are they thoughts of doubt, fear, anxiety, and insecurity? The only way you can renew your mind is by transforming it with the word of God. When the enemy tries to conform your mind with defeat, find where God said you are victorious in His Word (Romans 8:37). If your mind isn’t being conformed with His word, what is conforming it? Renew your mind. Go! Move Forward!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! And I love the quote at the end too.
    There's a typo during the second sentence of the last paragraph, btw. (Grammar Nazi in trainning. xD)thought you might want to know that. xP
    But yeah, great job!

    ReplyDelete